|| Curriculum Vitae
Dr. P.R. Sharma (Bhattarai)
Particular areas of expertise/research
Posts held in the past
Other professional experiences & Awards
Palpa District, Lumbini Zone, Nepal.
Institute of Medicine
PO Box: 2533.
Fax: (977-1) 418 186. E-Mail: email@example.com
Professor of Paedratric
KMC from July 2011
IOM up to June 2011
Health Learning Materials Centre
Institute of Medicine
Institutional Review Board
Subject Committee, Obsterics/Gynaecology and Pediatrics
Professor in Child Health
Institute of Medicine
Head of Department of Paediatric
IMCI focal person; Pre-service training.
in Medicine and Surgery 1972 Calcutta University, India.
Diploma in Child Health 1981 Dublin, Ireland.
Diploma in Tropical Child Health 1982 Liverpool University, U. K.
Fellow of the College of Surgeons and Physicians (FCPS) 1998 Pakistan
Course Design 1977 Boston University and Tribhuwan University.
Educational Science for
Teachers of Health Professionals 1977 Jakarta, Indonesia.
Medical Education Course 1980 Bangkok,
Post graduate training, Paediatric lung desease and Paediatric
intensive care in 1987 Sydney
Sharma PR. Child Health (Nepali). 1st ed. Health Learning Materials
Center, Nepal, 1990.
Sharma PR. Pocket Book of Practical Paediatric Problems. 4th ed.
Health Learning Materials Center, Nepal, 1999.
PR. Paediatric respiratory, diarrhoeal and renal diseases.
In: Joshi M, Adhikari R, ed. Drug Therapeutic Hand Book. Health
Learning Materials Center, Nepal 1996.
Articles in International Journals:
Pandey MR, Sharma PR, Neupane RP. Impact of a pilot ARI control
ARI News, issue 6, Dec 1986.
Pandey MR, Sharma PR, Gubhaju BB, Shakya GM, Neupane RP, Gautam
A, Shrestha IB. Impact of a pilot acute respiratory infection
(ARI) control program in a rural community in the hill region
Ann Trop Paediatr, 1989; 9: 212-220
Pandey MR, Neils MP, Sharma PR, Neupane RP, Starbuck ER. Report
of ARI intervention studies from Nepal. Bulletin of the International
Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, 1990; 65(4):24
Acharya G, Butler T, May H, Sharma PR, Tiwari M, Adhikari RK,
Khagda JB, Pokhrel B, Pathak UN. Treatment of typhoid fever: Randomized
trial of a three-day course of ceftriaxone versus a fourteen-day
course of chloramphenicol.
Am J Trop Med Hyg., 52(2), 1995. 162-165
Sharma PR, Adhikari RK, Joshi MP, Lal M, Chodon T, Pokhrel BM,
Shrestha RS, Shrestha IB. Intravenous chloramphenicol plus penicillin
versus intramuscular ceftriaxone for the treatment of pyogenic
meningitis in Nepalese children.
Tropical Doctor.1996; 26: 84-85.
H. Cross, Jeeban Sherchand, Pushpa Sharma, Peter Echeverria. Cyclosporiasis
at the Kanti Children's Hospital in Kathmandu, Nepal; A cursory
Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology. 1997; Vol. 20; (No.2);
PR Sharma; RK Adhikari. Scoring saves lives. Child Health Dialogue.
Issue 13; 4th quarter 1998. Pediatrics 2002 May;109(5):898-903
TA, Chandyo RK, Bahl R, Sharma PR, Adhikari RK, Bhandari N, Ulvik
RJ, Molbak K, Bhan MK, Sommerfelt H. Effectiveness and efficacy
of zinc for the treatment of acute diarrhea in young children.
Pediatrics. 2002 May;109(5):898-903
C. Papers presented in International Conferences
- Sharma PR, Baral M. Diarrhoeal disease control program and role
of rehydration therapy center. 17 th International congress of
paediatrics. Philippines. November 7-12. 1983
- Pandey MR, Sharma PR, Neupane RP. Preliminary report of a community
study of childhood ARI in Nepal. International workshop in ARI
in childhood. Australia. August . 1984
- Sharma PR. Major child health issues and role of mass media
in Nepal. International seminal on child health and mass media.
New Delhi. Dec 3-4, 1984
- Sharma PR, Baral M. A comparison of low sodium and high sodium
Oral Rehydration Solution in the treatment of diarrhoeal dehydration
of Nepalese children. 6th Asian Congress of Paediatrics. Japan.
March 27-31. 1988
- Sharma PR, Baral M. Peptilose based ORS in the treatment of
dehydration. Asian congress on diarrhoeal diaseases. Pakistan.
- Sharma PR, Adhikari RK. Health problems of carpet weavers Nepalese
children. International congress of paediatrics. Brazil. 1992
- Sharma PR. Present curriculum of undergraduate program of the
Institute of Medicine in relation to the diarrhoeal diseases.
Regional workshop on strengthening the teaching of diarrhoeal
diseases in medical schools. Myanmar. 1994
- Sharma PR, Adhikari RK, Pokhrel BM. Acute Respiratory Infections
(ARI) in Nepalese Children and Standard Case Management Plan.
International Symposium on Infectioius and Tropical Diseases.
Kathmandu. March 20- 21, 1996
- Sharma PR, Adhikari RK, Poudel T. Treating children with severe
pneumonia in the oral rehydration therapy unit as a short stay
facility. International Conference on Acute Respiratory Infections.
Canberra, July7-10, 1997
- An experience with the teaching of Integrated Management of
Childhood Ilnesses (IMCI) in undergraduate student of Institute
of Medeicine, Kathamandu, Nepal. Intercountry workshop on IMCI,
WHO, Geneva; November 2-5, 1999; Genevas
Articles in National Journals:
- Sharma PR. A study of rotaviral diarrhoea with special reference
to Nepal. J of Nepal Paediatric Society. 1,1, 1980.
- Sharma PR. Outlook of children disease, then and now. J of Institute
of Medicine. 4, 1. 1982.
- Sharma PR. Role of broad spectrum antibiotics in chest infections
in infants. J of Nepal Medical Association. 20, 3. 1982.
- Sharma PR. Indian Childhood Cirrhosis - a review. J of Nepal
` Paediatric Society. 2,3. 1982.
- Sharma PR. Urinary tract infection - the infection that matters.
J of Institute of Medicine. 5, 1. 1983.
- Sharma PR. Effect of intravenous aminophylline in infants and
young children with bronchiolitis. J of Nepal Paediatric Society.
- Sharma PR. Childhood meningitis a five months survey. J of Nepal
Paediatric Society. 2,2.1983.
- Dixit H, Sharma PR. Bacterial meningitis a two years survey.
J of Institute of Medicine. 6,1. 1984.
- Khetan R, Sharma PR, Baral MR. Nutritional iron deficiency prevalence
at Kanti Children's Hospital. J of Nepal Paediatric Society. 4,2.
- Sharma PR, Karki T. Acute respiratory infections in Nepal, hospital
based study. J of Nepal Paediatric Society. 5,1. 1986.
- Pandey MR, Sharma PR. ARI in Nepal- a community based study.
J of Nepal Paediatric Society. 5,1. 1986.
- Shrestha IL, Shrestha RPB, Sharma PR, Dhakwa JR, Karky T. Antibody
response to Mencevax AC Vaccine, rapid diagnosis of meningitis
and drugs in the treatment of meningitis group A. J of Nepal Paediatric
Society. 5,1. 1986.
- Sharma PR. Childhood survival strategies services: immunization.
J of Nepal Paediatric Society. 7,1. 1988.
- Sharma PR, Tuladhar R. Acute respiratory infections in children,
signs, symptoms and management. J of Nepal Paediatric Society.
- Pandey MR, Sharma PR, Neupane RP, Gautam A. Parental tobacco
smoking and acute respiratory infections in Nepal. J of Institute
of Medicine. 13, 1991.
- Sharma PR, Adhikari RK. Acute respiratory infections in under
5 children and standard case management plan. Souvenir. 7th Nepalese
congress of paediatrics. 1994.
- Sharma PR, Adhikari RK, Shah KP, Singh MK. Use of plastic bottles
as spacers for the administration of inhaler salbutamol in children.
Souvenir. 7th Nepalese congress of paediatrics.1994.
- Adhikari RK,Sharma PR, Prasain R, Lal M. Treatment of lobar
pneumonia with cotrimoxazole. Souvenir. 7th Nepalese congress
of paediatrics. 1994.
- Adhikari R,Sharma PR, , Basnyat NB, Srestha S, Shrestha SK.
Neonatal trends in Tribhuwan University Teaching Hospital. Souvenir.
7th Nepalese Congress of Paediatrics. 1994.
- Sharma PR, Adhikari RK, Tiwari P, Pokhrel BM, Lal M, Gautam
HR, Shrestha SK. Childhood meningitis: is there a possibility
of epidemic? Souvenir. 7th Nepalese congress of paediatrics. 1994.
- Sharma PR, Adhikari RK, Joshi MP, Thapa TP. Wheezes in children.
J of Nepal Medical Association. 33, 113. 1995.
- Sharma PR, Adhikari R, Gupta M. The myth of salmonella agglutination
test. J of Nepal Medical Association. 33, 115, 1995.
- Sharma PR. Philosophy of Medical Ethics. Kathmandu Post.
February 9, 1997.
- Sharma PR. Ethics and Spiritual view. Kathamndu Post.
February 7, 1999.
- Sharma PR. Three steps towards supreme perfection.
Kathmandu Post. May 7, 2000.
- Sharma PR, Baral VR, Adhikari R, Gami FC, Shrestha SP HAIR AN
Syndrome: Case report. J of Nepal Medical Association; 40, 139,
- Sharma PR. Pneumonia Past and Present. Souvenir of the XI Nepalese
Congress of Paediatrics and 1st Conference of Paediatric Association
of SAARC Countries. 2002. March 14-16.
- Sharma PR, Thapa TP. Evidenced Based Antenatal Single Corticosteroid
to Prevent RDS. Journal of Nepal Paediatric Society.Vol. 20, Issue
1; 2002; 33-37.
- Sharma PR. Approach to a child with fever in outpatient. Journal
of the Nepal Paediatric Society. Vol. 21. Issue 1; 2003.
- Sharma PR. A child with fever: an approach in OPD. Journal of
the Nepal Paediatric Society. Vol. 21. Issue 1; 38-43.
- Sharma PR. A lesson to learn. Journal of the Nepal Paediatric
Society. Vol. 21. Issue 1; 48-49.
- Sharma PR. Which drug should be used in Children for sedation
for severe painful procedures? Nepal Paediatric Society. Vol.
21. Issue 3; 23-25.
- Sharma PR. Swyer-James-Macleod Syndrome. Journal of Institute
of Medicine, vol.25, Issue 2, 2003
- Sharma HS, Sharma PR, Gami FC, Adhikari R, Rana P, Tiwari A,
Rai, P. Metaphyseal chondrodysplasia, Schmidt type. Journal of
Institute of Medicine. Vol.25, Issue 2, 2003. 31-32.
areas of expertise/research:
Acute Respiratory Infections:
UNICEF funded project " Role of malnutrition and other environmental
factors in morbidity and mortality due to acute respiratory infections
in infants and children of Nepal".
Principal investigator: CIDA funded project "Aetiological
agents of acute respiratory infections in Nepalese children of
2 months up to
Principal investigator: Use of Oral Rehydration Therapy Center
of Kanti Children's Hospital as a short stay facility for treating
children with severe pneumonia in children aged 3 months to 5
Project Director: Population (Hospital) Based Surveillance for Pneumonia
with Detection Streptococcus Pneumoniae in Kanti Children.s Hospital.
Funded by PneumoADIP of Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public
Health. (from November 2004, will continue for two years).
- Chairman of the team to develop" Curriculum for the
Auxiliary Health Worker, under the Institute of Medicine,
- Member of the curriculum development team for the MBBS,
DCH and MD(GP) under the Institute of Medicine, Tribhuwan University.
consultant for the training of different cadres of
Principal investigator: Does zinc supplementation in children
enhance the mucosal and systemic immune response to the
(NUFU funded project: completed 1999)
investigator: Randomized double blind control study on the role
of Zinc in reducing the duration of acute watery diarrhoea in
(NUFU funded project: Study completed in 2001.)
held in the past:
His Majesty's Government of Nepal.
Auxiliary Health Worker Campus,
Institute of Medicine. 1978-1980.
Lecturer in Child Health,
Institute of Medicine. 1977- 1985.
Head of the Department of Child Health,
Institute of Medicine. 1994-1995.
WHO temporary advisor for the training Sept. '94 (Male),
of trainers in ARI program. Apr. '95 (Bangladesh)
Dec. '95 (Pokhra).
WHO temporary advisor for the development
of ARI-CDD Materials designed for use of
Anganwadi Workers. Aug. '96.1-9 New Delhi.
WHO Intercountry training course for
consultants on Integrated Management
of Childhood Illness. Aug. '97. Kathmandu.
National facilitator for the training of health
workers in Integrated Management of
Childhood Illness. Nov. '97. Kathmandu.
Member of the CHD Technical Advisory Group
WHO Geneva 1998, 1999,2000,2001
Facilitators training course in Integrated Jan. 5-9, '98
Management of Childhood Illness Kathmandu.
Facilitator training course in IMCI at
Samarang. Indonesia, 98
Facilitator: IMCI training course Indonesia, 98
Facilitator: IMCI demonstration course New Delhi, India
Facilitator: Intercountry Training Course
IMCI, Kathamndu, Nepal Nepal, September, 1999.
Focal person: Pre-service IMCI training
Intercountry workshop on IMCI pre WHO, Geneva, Nov.
service training 1999.
Facilitator: Demonstration course on
IMCI Myanmar, October,1999.
WHO STC IMCI Preservice training IMCI University of Pretoria,
South Africa, 2001.
Fellow of the College of
Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan
(FCPS) in Paediatrics February, 2001.
- Examiner Kathmandu University
Editor - Journal of Nepal Paediatric Society 1988- 1993
of the Editorial Board - Journal of Nepal Medical Association
Member of the Editorial Board -Journal of Nepal Paediatric Society
Member of the Editorial Board - Journal of Institute of Medicine
President : Nepal Paediatric Society 2001-2003. Paediatric Association of SAARC countries. 2001-2002
Chief Editor: Journal of Institute of Medicine (to date)
Paediatric Society Gold Medal for the best article presented
in the Second Nepalese Congress of Paediatrics - 1983.
Amar Pahari Literary Award for the book : Child Health
Literary Award of Tribhuwan University 2057 (2001).
- 25 years service university medal 2058 (2002).
- Certificate of appreciation, Institute of Medicine 2059 (2002)