1. A MD residents must carry out the following clinical responsibilities
in the Unit where they are posted :
a. Must know the working diagnosis of all in- patients.
b. Should write follow-up notes timely, completely, accurately
directed towards the patient problem, properly, sequentially
eliciting salient positive and negative points to support the
diagnosis on the continuation sheet.
c. Should be able to present history, clinical examination
findings when asked and justify logically by applying knowledge
of disease and its pathophysiology in clear, organized, complete,
accurate and polished manner. It should include psychosocial
and preventive aspect also.
d. Should suggest investigations based on the working diagnosis
with limitations incorporating considerations of costs, risks
e. Should make available the investigations for the round.
f. Should guide juniors in history writing, examination and
g. Should be responsible for the drugs written in the cardex.
h. Should write clear nursing instructions.
i. Should counsel parents in clear, appropriate, jargon-free
and empathetic way.
j. Should be responsible for the planning of the nutrition
needs for the child and instruct for its implementation to the
dietician, nurses and counsel the parents on ways to fulfil
k. Should perform bedside procedures when needed.
l. Should perform the daily ward round being enthusiastic responsive,
reliable, committed, cooperative and respectful way before the
m. Should write the discharge summaries completely, with salient
informations, write own full name and sign.
n. Should write referral notes as advised by the consultant
and follow-up the referrals.
o. A third year MD residents will work as a second on call.
They will carry out the following responsibilities:
- Review all cases admitted in the ward and observation room
in the evening of the admission day.
- Be available to solve the problem if any as shown by the first
- Inform the consultants about the problem and types of patients
- Review the treatment provided by the emergency or first on
- Present the cases in the post admission morning round
- Be responsible for the presentation of the admitted cases
in the seminar.
p. Take evening tutorial bedside clinical classes for the MBBS
2. They are responsible for the duties that are allotted to
3. They are responsible for the topic, journal club, cases,
and a bedside clinical presentation of that is allotted to them
and show the presentations outline three days ahead to the faculty
4. They should hand over the patients to each other during
or after their duties.
5. They are responsible for the patient’s care in OPD.
6. They should carry out the functions that are allotted to
them by their consultants.
7. They should teach juniors about the cases admitted in the
8. Must inform the consultant if unable to attend the duties
and should make alternative arrangements for their duties.
9. Should collect the evaluation form from the department and
submit it to the respective unit heads for their own evaluation.
Finally they should submit the evaluated form to the co-ordinator
withi n one week after the end of respective posting.
10. They must maintain a log book as mentioned in the format
and submit it duly signed by the unit head and to the co-ordinator
within one week after the end of posting.